~Feeding our Families one recipe at a time~

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Texas Caviar



When we were preparing food for Superbowl Sunday I had to keep in mind that I couldn't eat our traditional hot wings and chips and salsa. I remembered having some Texas Caviar that a neighbor of Sherry's brought over. It was SO good. I found this recipe and made it for Sunday. It was so good! This is a healthy alternative to queso and other side dishes you might find. My kids thought it was some kind of toxic waste but we sure loved it!

3 cans black eye peas, drained and rinsed
2 cans shoepeg corn. drained
3 to 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
3 avocados, chunked
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1/2 sweet onion, minced
juice of 2 limes
Good Seasonings Italian Dressing packet, prepared
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, adding avocado last. Pour in the dressing (add 1/2 at first). Add as much dressing as you like. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment